Work on the unfinished Troll Screamers shown above as well as several NEW Troll Screamers will resume soon. I have several body parts ready to go for the new creations.

Saturday, 16 October 2010


So the first mold has been removed from the modified master as you can see below:

A second mold was made after this one was removed i have not gotten around to removing that one yet however. Below you can see the results of the first two plaster casts de-molded.

Below i have high lighted where the plaster spilled over the edges due to my overzealous pouring in blue. I have high lighted where i have to remove the plaster from under & around the fingers etc to bring back the original design shape(s) in purple.

You will have noticed by now that the arm bones & base have not been shown as part of the de-molded castings here. That's because there was no way i could cast those as thin as they were in plaster without them breaking off. I had hoped to add some internal support during the plaster pouring but the thickness of the bones did not allow enough room for it. I will simply cast those from reinforced paper strips or reinforced pulp later then glue them in place when dry & de-molded.

I  was hoping that the Plasticine i used as filer during the mold making stage would hold up. True modeling clay would have been the correct & proffered medium for that of course. As it turned out not only did the Plasticine actually work but also better than expected. Somehow (i am no chemist) the latex mould solution or more likely the separate thickening solution i added to the mould latex hardened the plasticine surface slightly. Which meant the latex mould once dried easily came free of the plasticine filler. Not only did this leave the plasticine in place giving me the chance to re-use the use of it again but gave me a perfect copy as well.

So i have some carving to do slightly more than expected thanks to over pouring the plaster but thats a man made fault not a fault of the materials i used. A lesson learned for next time so i have less work to do in the future lol.

More on this project soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment