Work on the unfinished Troll Screamers shown above as well as several NEW Troll Screamers will resume soon. I have several body parts ready to go for the new creations.

Sunday 6 September 2009

FROM A FAILED SUNDAY EXPERIMENT TO A SUPRISING SUCCESS STORY

In the paper mache art group I am in (PaperMacheArt) a question come up how to bond Styrofoam to paper pulp, if it was possible to make insulted pulp. As I was about to embark on some pulp experiments of my own I took up the challenge myself too.
Well having three types of Styrofoam laying around to experiment with I instantly hit problems. I have the small pellet type used in bean bag cushion fillers, the same pellet type which has been moulded into blocks of various shapes & sizes as well as the more melted foam type which looks more like melted nylon than Styrofoam. Anyway my immediate problem was shredding the stuff. I have a very powerful large blender but sadly it was just not up to the challenge. Even when I slowly added the Styrofoam pellets to some premade paper pulp. No success as you can see below.
In the end I had a sizeable batch of ruined pulp so rather than throw it away I figured why not just try to make some bowls from it. So I did. They took a few days to dry but the results were unexpected.



















2 comments:

  1. love your experiments!
    and you don't need to paint it!it has already a tasty mosaic finish!i think it would be very interesting if you could die or paint the paper in the pulp faze than adding the styro balls.
    but that's another monday experiment.:)

    ildi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have something in mind as it happens for adding some colour/creating a colour effect to the pulp prior to molding it, but thats for another time. I will let you know my thoughts on it later.

    ReplyDelete