I did it this way so i could get a good thick coating of varnish on in a single run, but also completely remove ANY chances of brush strokes in the varnish too. It's messy. It takes a little longer to dry fuly, but i think the final finish could simply not be any smoother no matter what brush i used. Here are some pictures of the varnished state. The varnish is dry enough for me to hold it gently to photograph but i will be leaving it to fuly dry another few days yet.
In all but the last picture shown here i have angled the dolphin so the light would not catch the varnish allowing for a clear picture to be taken. I allowed the light to catch the varnished surface in the last picture how ever to show the varnish is on there.
Once this is cast in plaster (split mold) i can then get to making multiple copies in paper mache. I will be using strips not pulp. More on that when the time comes.